[Equest-users] VRV System Modeling

Dave Hostetter daveh at ihd-llc.com
Mon Mar 23 12:57:43 PDT 2009

Hello All,

I am working on a few projects which utilize Daikan VRV systems and I am
trying to model them using eQuest, without much luck.  I have talked with a
couple of different people, including some at Daikan and eQuest, and have
heard that as of right now the only full building energy modeling program
that supports VRV systems is EnergyPro.  I was also told that an update to
DOE2.2 and then eQuest which will address VRV systems is in the works, but
that these updates will most likely not be out for a couple of months yet
(maybe into next year).  I also have heard that there have been some people
who have been able to approximate VRV systems within eQuest.

So my questions to all of you are:

1).  What would be the best / most accurate approach to create a model of a
building with a VRV system?  Unfortunately I don't think that we can wait a
few months for the updates, so would it make most sense to purchase
EnergyPro or try to use a workaround method within eQuest?  Or is there some
third option that I am unaware of?

2).  Does anyone know how to approximate a VRV system within eQuest and
could explain it to me?  What kind of accuracy could I expect from this
method?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

David P. Hostetter