[Equest-users] eQUEST - new user

Karen Walkerman kwalkerman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 07:48:38 PDT 2009

Hi Aswan,

1.  This depends partly on what the model is for.  If this is a LEED model,
the zones should be modeled as designed in the mechanical plan.  If it's
not, you may want to simplify further, combining zones with similar uses and
exposures as long as you are pretty confident that the hourly heading and
cooling loads will be similar.  Definitely err on the side of simplicity and
whatever you do, don't model closets separately.

2.  You can define one AHU that serves multiple spaces, regardless of where
those spaces are.  You might have to do some fine-tuning in detailed edit
mode in order to get everything set-up the way you want.  There is no
chilled beam in eQuest.  You'll have to modify an airside cooling system to
approximate the chilled beam.  Search the archives for info on how to do
this.  There have been at least a few discussions on the list serve in the
past regarding this issue.

3.  It's possible to model CHP systems in detailed mode.  Basically, create
an electric generator, select the fuel source and select the heat reject
loops.  You can adjust the performance curves to match the type of equipment
you want to model.  A word of caution: eQuest does not know the temperature
at which the generator is rejecting heat.  Therefore it's possible to model
a generator that rejects heat at 85 F into a loop that needs to be
maintained at 180 F, but this violates the laws of thermodynamics!

--
Karen