[Equest-users] Parametric Runs and Boiler/Water Heater Losses

John Forester jforester at dmiinc.com
Wed May 20 13:19:27 PDT 2009

Hello eQuest Users,

I am using eQuest 3.61e and modeling lighting improvements through a
parametric run.  The only component that I am changing for the parametric
run is the Lighting W/ft2 for the entire building.  My boilers and water
heaters are located inside the building in a mechanical zone (which also
gets the lighting density reduction).  My parametric run is showing fuel
losses in my space heating (boilers) and domestic hot water categories on
the order of magnitude of 2% of the building fuel use (2,460 therms).  If I
change the zone of the boilers and water heaters to outside, the fuel use
for this parametric run is not affected.  I understand that there may be
additional tank losses due to a smaller heating load from the lights but, in
reality, this penalty seems excessive.

Can anyone verify that this is appropriate or is there an overall tank
U-value input that I can adjust to eliminate this loss?  I would like to
avoid keeping the boilers outside if possible.

Thanks,

John T. Forester, LEED AP
Demand Management Institute
35 Walnut Street