[Equest-users] Operable Window Insulation

vidya gowda vidyacg at vt.edu
Thu May 21 15:09:13 PDT 2009

We are trying to model a house with a movable external insulation layer over
the window controlled by building control system. We intend it to insulate
the window during the peak summer and winter months. Is there a way to
schedule the insulation layer such that it changes the U value of the window
when it is in place.

this is what we tried to do:

1. We tried to manipulate the insulation layer as an external building  shade,
but it doesn't affect the window u value.

2. We also tried to assign the insulation layer as an external movable blind
in the window layer and then apply the conductance T-min schedule and the
conductance schedule but it still doesn't seem to show any difference in the
energy consumption values.

Is there anyone who can suggest another way to apply this movable insulation
control within eQuest

Thanks a lot,

Kind Regards,

Vidya