[Equest-users] Unconditioned Areas of Refuge

Lam, Linda linda.lam at wspfk.com
Thu May 21 16:32:31 PDT 2009

Dear eQuest-Users:

I have a rectangular high-rise office complex located in India, 28 stories, going for LEED.  There are unconditioned Areas of Refuge on 6 floors, either 1760sf on the Northwest corner or 1221sf on the Southeast corner.  The total unconditioned area of refuge is about 9000 sf compared to the total building area (uncond + cond) of 680,000sf (1.3%). Since I used floor multipliers for the typical floorplate, I can't specify which floors have areas of refuge and which don't.  Would it be an accurate assumption to divide the 9000sf of refuge into the 24 typical floors? (~400sf per floor)

If so, that comes out to 200sf at each of the corners (NW and SE). The next question is, since that is such a small area, can I leave it out all together to avoid dealing with making new spaces?  What would USGBC say?

Any opinions or experience would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Linda Lam

Linda Lam, LEED® AP
WSP Flack + Kurtz