[Equest-users] Roof over lower Floor

Brandon Crane brandonc at fsi-engineers.com
Fri May 29 11:33:21 PDT 2009

I used the 'Design Development Wizard' in eQuest to create a 2-story
building with different floor plans for each floor.  While running the
wizard I made sure not to check the 'sloped roof' button for the first
floor, despite the need for some roof modeling over some of the zone.  I
also made sure to add a roof to the top (2nd) floor of the building.  I
hit 'finish' and the program developed my model the way I had expected.

Except my lower floor has a roof listed over every zone.  Furthermore,
the roofs listed over every floor are listed as external partitions.

I have the following questions regarding this perceived problem:

-          Is this a problem?  Ie...Will an external roof over a lower
floor (below an upper floor) be included in the energy model?

-          If this is a problem, how do I alleviate the situation?  Is
it okay to simply delete the exterior roof of a lower floor or should
this roof be replaced with a ceiling?

Thank you for your help.

Brandon Crane

FSi consulting engineers

811 First Ave., Suite 300

Seattle, WA 98104

(206) 622-3321 ext. 311

brandonc at fsi-engineers.com <mailto:brandonc at fsi-engineers.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail message, including any attachments,
is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain
confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged information, as well as
content subject to copyright and other intellectual property laws.  If
you are not the intended recipient, you may not disclose, use, copy, or
distribute this e-mail message or its attachments.  If you believe you
have received this e-mail message in error, please contact the sender by
reply e-mail, immediately delete this e-mail and destroy any copies.

Prior to use of this email message or its attachments, the intended
recipient agrees to the terms of use outlined on FSi's agreement link
www.fsi-engineers.com/legal/agreement.pdf  Any such use indicates
recipient's acceptance of the above statements and conditions of
permitted use without exception.