[Equest-users] Hot water loop demand and boiler sizing

James Hansen JHANSEN at ghtltd.com
Wed May 6 11:15:04 PDT 2009

I constantly struggle with the same issue (loop sizing) and whether or
not it is actually having an impact on energy consumption.

In a recent project I did, I had the same results as you.  However, I
went to the hour-by-hour report page for the plant, and using your
example below:  I would get something like -2992234 buth at 8am,
-1000000 at 9am, -2900000 buth at 10am, etc..  The heating load was
bouncing high and low, meaning the loop had to be sized for -2992234 but
the actual maximum heating load that your system would see in actual
operation was closer to the average of these two "bouncing" numbers (ie
-2000000 in your case).

Never figured out why, and posted a question here and received no
answers.  Stepped utility block was 15 mins, didn't have any weird
temperature setpoints, etc.

Ultimately I don't think these warning messages are too concerning, but
I also know NEVER to use eQuest to do my load calcs for maximum
heating/cooling equipment sizing.

GHT Limited
James Hansen, PE, LEED AP

Senior Associate