[Equest-users] Manufacturing Building Energy Simulation- eQuest

Kendra Tupper ktupper at rmi.org
Thu May 21 07:22:44 PDT 2009

I'm just finishing up the LEED energy modeling for a manufacturing plant
where the unregulated process loads (compressed air, manufacturing tools,
producing de-ionized water, etc.) is 76% of the total energy cost. We're
able to achieve the required 10% savings over 90.1-2007 (for LEED 2009) with
an extremely efficient chiller plant, aggressive daylighting and lighting
controls,  heat recovery, and on site PV. We're submitting an exceptional
calculation method for process load savings because we've recovered enough
heat from the compressed air to completely eliminate the need for the
process heating, and used more efficient tools. If the ECM gets accepted, we
could get 3 more energy points, but we're planning on having to meet the
required 10% without any ECMs.

One interesting thing that I discovered - ASHRAE 90.1-2007 is a bit more
forgiving on manufacturing facilitieis because of the revised fan power
calcs that let you take additional static pressure allowances for many
things. If you're under LEED 2.2 and want to use 90.1-2004, I would strongly
recommmend at least using the addenda that picks up this fan power change.

--
Kendra Tupper
Senior Consultant

Rocky Mountain Institute  |  T  303-567-8641 |  F  303-245-7213  |
www.rmi.org