[Equest-users] Modeling Window changes

Lam, Linda linda.lam at wspfk.com
Fri May 29 08:55:41 PDT 2009

I have come across that situation a couple times.  The conclusion I came
to for replacing windows with a "better" (lower) SHGC and "better"
(higher) U-value, and still getting more energy use, has to do with heat
balance.

When a building is in a mild/cool climate, the outside air temp causes
room temperatuer to drop below setpoint (ie, 68F) during unoccupied
times.  (Heat is lost through the envelope from a higher temperature to
lower temperature.) This can also happen if your building schedule has
long periods of unoccupied times between events like in a conference
center.  In the morning, the the outside air temperature picks up and
solar radiation starts coming through the envelope. During these times,
the space wants to be brought up to an occupied temperature (72F) from
its unoccupied space temp (65F) and would actually benefit from a less
resistant envelope because a "poorer" performing envelope allows faster
heat gain in the space.

I hope that kind of makes sense.

Linda Lam, LEED(r) AP
WSP FLACK+KURTZ