[Equest-users] eQuest Project Methodology

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Nov 4 15:39:16 PST 2009

Hi Nick (I like your name!),

I'm an intermediate learner and user of eQuest (not an
expert/developer), so your perspective may match mine some months down
the road.  Here's my short/sweet answers - obviously different for
others but here we go:

... I only use the schematic wizard or DD wizard for monthly energy
estimates, because I do not understand the detailed inputs and how it
works, but I would like to.

I use eQuest primarily as an energy modeling tool, and only rarely as a
design (loads calculation) tool.  eQuest is great for making
energy-concious design decisions (i.e. will option A or B save me more
$$/yr?), and powerful with regards to modeling for LEED and such, but
it's a big clunker if all you need are loads to size equipment.  I
started with the same thoughts as you, but now regard the wizards as a
tremendous time-saver to set yourself up for "real" work in the detailed
mode.

Are most people using these wizards and then get into the detailed

modeling or do you go straight into detailed parametric modeling?

For a complex model, I use the DD or SD wizards to the fullest extent,
then spend most of my time tweaking things within the detailed mode for
most projects.  I occasionally spend a small amount of time delving into
typing stuff up in the .inp file to account for specific things, but I
didn't begin picking that up until I had a number of projects under my
belt.

...do you get into detail modeling of the building with all spaces

and zones...

I try to model as much of the geometries as I can in the wizards.  I
have edited/created geometries/rooms/zones/etc... after the fact (it's
not as hard as it seems).  It is unquestionably faster and less prone to
error within the wizards however.

...or do you generalize the building zones as the tutorial recommends...

Yes.  Same overriding concept as any loads calc program (like HAP).

and is it worthwhile to import autoCAD files to help model

the building?

Absolutely.

Can you compare several different building models in the

same file and show comparison reports?

I haven't fully grasped yet the potential/limitations of the parametric
reports feature, but for comparing different systems and such I
generally create two different files (preserving the effort put into the
geometries by saving a copy and going backwards in the second file).

Hope this helps,

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER