[Equest-users] eQuest Project Methodology

Bruce Easterbrook bruce5 at bellnet.ca
Wed Nov 4 17:23:19 PST 2009

Hi Nick and Nick,
I have spent a year or so using E-Quest and a decade using different
forms of the DOE engine and other various modelling programs.   I also
have 20 years with ASHRAE.  I'm not an expert with E-quest but have
spent some crazy hours on it.  I only recent discovered this forum and
for a year toiled in darkness.  I will insert my comments below.

Nick Caton wrote:

> Hi Nick (I like your name!),
>

> I'm an intermediate learner and user of eQuest (not an
> expert/developer), so your perspective may match mine some months down
> the road.  Here's my short/sweet answers -- obviously different for
> others but here we go:
>

> ... I only use the schematic wizard or DD wizard for monthly energy
> estimates, because I do not understand the detailed inputs and how it
> works, but I would like to.

I always start with the SD and an Autocad drawing.  Get the basics in
(geometry and basic construction) and let the program size everything.
Size windows and doors on percentages, standard everything.  The initial
key is to get the program running and not freezing.  Look at the error
reports and fix them, or at least the one which matter.  Some of the
errors are not really errors.  Once that is looking good do a save as
and start a new branch.  Get into the DD and start tweaking.  One at a
time, save and start a new branch each time.

> I use eQuest primarily as an energy modeling tool, and only rarely as
> a design (loads calculation) tool.  eQuest is great for making
> energy-concious design decisions (i.e. will option A or B save me more
> $$/yr?), and powerful with regards to modeling for LEED and such, but
> it's a big clunker if all you need are loads to size equipment.  I
> started with the same thoughts as you, but now regard the wizards as a
> tremendous time-saver to set yourself up for "real" work in the
> detailed mode.
>

> Are most people using these wizards and then get into the detailed
>
> modeling or do you go straight into detailed parametric modeling?

I use it initially to size systems, basic heat loss for the building,
and then start dealing with ASHRAE 62.1.  It will dominate all loads.
Still let the program size everything.  Start your zoning.  Everything
in incremental steps, save and branch before each new step.  I do not
recommend going straight to detailed modelling. The program is quirky
and doesn't like certain things or methods.  If it crashes your error
messages are limited and cryptic.  You could easily get 20 to 40 hours
into a building detail and the program won't run.  You can then spend
half that trying to figure out what is wrong.  If you can't, you go back
to square one.  Been there done that.  It is smarter to have a saved
tail, you only have to go back a step or two and work out the
difficulty.  Preserve the file, start a new branch.  Remember this
program is huge and complex and very picky.  It produces 500+ pages of
data.  One major error and it freezes.  Keep it running!

> For a complex model, I use the DD or SD wizards to the fullest extent,
> then spend most of my time tweaking things within the detailed mode
> for most projects.  I occasionally spend a small amount of time
> delving into typing stuff up in the .inp file to account for specific
> things, but I didn't begin picking that up until I had a number of
> projects under my belt.
>

> ...do you get into detail modeling of the building with all spaces
>
> and zones...

You go as complex as the job requires.  I so far have managed to stay
out of tweaking the .inp file.  I prefer to tweak/trick the program
using the DD.  There are many ways to skin a cat, you just have to find
the way the program accepts your input to get your tweak.  There are
many run arounds mentioned in the forum to accomplish different tasks.
Remember this program is evolving.  It is state of the art but that is
changing fast.

> I try to model as much of the geometries as I can in the wizards.  I
> have edited/created geometries/rooms/zones/etc... after the fact (it's
> not as hard as it seems).  It is unquestionably faster and less prone
> to error within the wizards however.
>

> ...or do you generalize the building zones as the tutorial recommends...

Yes, start simple, go to complex.

> Yes.  Same overriding concept as any loads calc program (like HAP).
>

> and is it worthwhile to import autoCAD files to help model
>
> the building?
>

> Absolutely.

The only way to go.  Input points anti-clock wise.

> Can you compare several different building models in the
>
> same file and show comparison reports?

Not sure, haven't tried that feature yet.  I have lately been taking my
data to a spread sheet to compare various models.  Each model in my
branches represents a different concept or trial.  This will be my next
ordeal by fire.  Basically you just have to work with the program and
experiment.  It is a great tool!  Lots of back-ups so you don't have to
back track too far when things crash.
Bruce Easterbrook P.Eng.
Abode Engineering