[Equest-users] eQuest Project Methodology

Pasha Korber-Gonzalez pasha.pkconsulting at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 21:27:47 PST 2009

Nick-(who asked the question),

In-short, I have over 10 yrs simulation experience.  Started using DOE2.1e
in code form before there was a user interface--thank god for user
interfaces, and especially ones that are free--such as eQuest.  I've been
using eQuest since 2004.

My responses are inserted as follows:
Pasha Korber
PK Consulting

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Bruce Easterbrook <bruce5 at bellnet.ca> wrote:

> [...]

> baseline model.  The approach here is to build your proposed building design
> model and then "back off" the design values to the ASHRAE (or other)
> baseline values, thus creating your baseline simulation.
>
> For a complex model, I use the DD or SD wizards to the fullest extent, then
> spend most of my time tweaking things within the detailed mode for most
> projects.  I occasionally spend a small amount of time delving into typing
> stuff up in the .inp file to account for specific things, but I didn’t begin
> picking that up until I had a number of projects under my belt.
>

> …do you get into detail modeling of the building with all spaces
>
> and zones…
>
> You go as complex as the job requires.  I so far have managed to stay out
> of tweaking the .inp file.  I prefer to tweak/trick the program using the
> DD.  There are many ways to skin a cat, you just have to find the way the
> program accepts your input to get your tweak.  There are many run arounds
> mentioned in the forum to accomplish different tasks.  Remember this program
> is evolving.  It is state of the art but that is changing fast.
>
>   I had a project about a year ago that was an ice rink.  DOE2.2 can do
> this simulation, but eQuest has not developed a formal module to make ice
> rink inputs easy for the user.  In this case I had no choice but to go into
> the .inp file in order to get out what I needed.  (This is where the
> flashbacks come from the programming classes back in engineering school.)
>    If I don't have to do it, then everythings is better for it--it's just
> another complex level of this already complex software--isn't it amazing
> though that there are software programs that are doing these types of
> simulations?  Just wait until dynamic system simulation becomes
> available--just think of the modeling problems we will have then?  lol
>
> I try to model as much of the geometries as I can in the wizards.  I have
> edited/created geometries/rooms/zones/etc… after the fact (it’s not as hard
> as it seems).  It is unquestionably faster and less prone to error within
> the wizards however.
>

> …or do you generalize the building zones as the tutorial recommends…
>
> Yes, start simple, go to complex.
>
>   Simplify as much as possible, but be sure not to over simplify--when
> this happens you delete the file you were working on and start all over.
> Modeling is like chess-you have to plan your moves before you execute them.
>

> Yes.  Same overriding concept as any loads calc program (like HAP).
>

> and is it worthwhile to import autoCAD files to help model
>
> the building?
>

> Absolutely.
>
> The only way to go.  Input points anti-clock wise.
>
>   yep.
>
> Can you compare several different building models in the
>
> same file and show comparison reports?
>
> Yes, by way of using the parametric runs to establish your ECM's.  In the
parametric runs you have a lot of flexibility of what you change.  I also
learned last year, when I took a training class from Marlin Addison, that we
can use Global Parameters to set up simplified inputs to the model and then
use these inputs to quickly and easily change the inputs to run our
ECM's--with this approach however, it is changing the whole model file and
outputs which doesn't allow you to look at more than one model in the same
file.  The global parameters thing is a really cool feature, but I haven't
had the chance & time to really use it--besides the inputs are based on
if-then type programming, and like I said earlier-programming languages
really make my head spin.  I can never get the programming right in the
global parameters when I try it.  Some people are really good with it and
use this input approach all the time.  For the comparison reports, when
using the parametric runs option eQuest has programmed in some great reports
and graphs that show the annual & monthly energy savings for your ECMs.  If
this is what you want from eQuest, then use the parametric runs option.