[Equest-users] Equest Base Model vs. ASHRAE 90.1

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Nov 24 08:20:17 PST 2009

John,

At the moment, it's up to the end-user to be sure your baseline model is
meeting the 90.1 minimum baseline criteria.  If you haven't already
checked it out, Appendix G explains how the model is to be set up and
calibrated to a level of performance (measured via unmet load hours)
that's to be in the same ballpark as your proposed design.  If you apply
all design criteria there into eQuest, then you're following 90.1.

I think you're describing and hoping to find eQuest can behave similarly
to COMcheck and other "plug and chug" type compliance documentation
software.  I had the same hopes when I first got into the program...
Over time though I've come to understand that 90.1 has so many
gray/interpretable areas that I'm not sure that a "push-button baseline
builder" is really a desirable thing for the task of energy modeling.

Until the day comes when software developers are producing "intelligent"
energy modeling software that makes evaluative decisions as effectively
as a human being, I don't think the task of "generate a baseline energy
model per 90.1" is even a feasible concept.  Even if such a (complex)
feature was around to use, you'd still have to do a complete proposed
model for the baseline to reference for
geometries/occupancies/zoning/etc - building the baseline after that is
not a huge relative investment of time in my experience...

In summary, I don't think effective/useful energy modeling for
90.1-based compliance is conceptually possible without involvement from
a human that's at least somewhat familiar with 90.1's Appendix G - it
cannot be automated without a degree of accuracy loss that I think most
would find unacceptable.

That's not to say the process couldn't be made easier with eQuest
(following is a suggestion with that in mind), and I understand other
"for-cost" energy modeling software do generate compliance certificates
of sorts for baseline/proposed LEED comparisons (or at least the LEED
template would lead me to believe this).  My impression however is that
where the current evolution of eQuest can fall behind it's "competition"
in cases regarding user-interface (though it's definitely better than a
lot of what's out there), it excels in breadth and depth of modeling
energy behaviors, and in a less measureable way because of the massive
community of professional energy modelers embracing and offering each
other support for the program through forums like this one.  And of
course, you can't beat free =).

For the record, I do think a good "wishlist" item for the coming
versions of eQuest, to facilitate easier, more consistent and less
error-prone 90.1 baseline modeling for users of all experience levels,
would be to create a library of 8 systems for use during HVAC system
wizard-level definition (See attached screenshot/paint masterpiece for
when/where/what I'm thinking).  These would define a set of defaults for
one of the 8 standard baseline systems, but would still require the
end-user to determine project specific wizard-level criteria (such as
climate zone-specific economizer/high limit requirements and such).
I've noted that the recent 90.1-2007 and 90.1-2004 are identical in
these definitions, so that lends some consolation that such efforts
would not become "out-of-date" for some time to come.

One last note: do be sure you're using the latest version (3.63b)... I'm
observing after clicking 'Help' -> 'About eQUEST...' my installation of
3.63b contains the line "eQUEST, version 3.63, build 6510," if that
helps you to verify.

Apologies for the wall of text - it's a recurring habit of mine...

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

25501 west valley parkway