[Equest-users] Natural Ventilation

Mathew Higgins Higgins at edi-arch.com
Mon Nov 9 08:28:38 PST 2009

John - If you do want to experiment with natural ventilation you will need to activate it in the Internal Loads tab for each affected space, under the infiltration sub-tab, not in the HVAC tab. I've had varying luck/results using the Sherman-Grimsrud method, and haven't tried out the ASHRAE method. I would suggest setting up some hourly reports based on the natural ventilation schedules you set up to make it work.

Good luck!

Matthew Higgins, Associate
LEED AP + ASHRAE-HBDP

Environmental Dynamics, Inc.
Architecture and Sustainability Consulting Services
505.242.2851 x.103
web. edi-arch.com

Any data provided by the Consultant, verbal or written, are to be considered opinions of building energy and/or daylight performance. The Client understands that the Consultant has no control of occupant habits, equipment or material performance or characteristics, site or climate conditions or the Contractor's method of assembly, and that the Consultant's opinions regarding building energy/daylight performance are made on the basis of the Consultant's professional judgment and experience. The Consultant makes no warranty, express or implied, that the energy/daylight performance of the building will not vary from the Consultant's opinion of building energy/daylight performance.

>>> "Grando, John" <JGrando at cosentini.com> 11/9/2009 9:09 AM >>>

Hello,

I have a project that is classified as low-rise residential.  It will use a 2-pipe fan coil system and will get its ventilation from operable windows.  Does anyone have suggestions on how to model this?  I tried to use the Natural ventilation tab but it does not activate for fan coil units and I do not know how to get natural ventilation and a chilled water system to work together.

I am assuming that when it comes to cooling and heating that I just put the OA requirement for the room in the system and it will be the same thing as getting it through the window.  Correct?  However I do not know how to account for someone opening the window to supplement the cooling and heating.  Should I model an air-side economizer and just let that take care of any "free-cooling"?  Does anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Thank you for any help.

John GrandoLEED AP

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY This E-mail message and its attachments (if any) are intended solely for the use of the addressees hereof. In addition, this message and the attachments (if any) may contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are prohibited from reading, disclosing, reproducing, distributing, disseminating or otherwise using this transmission. Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended recipient is not intended to waive any right or privilege. If you have received this message in error, please promptly notify the sender by reply E-mail and immediately delete this message from your system.