[Equest-users] PTHPs and large residential spaces

Jeff Ross-Bain jross-bain at rbgreenbuilding.com
Mon Nov 16 09:18:35 PST 2009

Hi All,

I have a residential (commercial) project that has large, multi room
residential units. Appendix G baseline calls for packaged terminal heat pump
units (PTHP) for this case. However, when I model these, the supplemental
heat energy use gets outrageously high. When I model packaged heat pump
units (residential) the supplemental heat consumption goes to a reasonable
level.

Any idea why the PTHPs would have such an effect or how I might investigate?
Could it be that these units are primarily designed for one small space? I
have reviewed just about all the QC checks I can think of.

Many thanks,

Jeffrey G Ross-Bain, PE, LEED

Ross-Bain Green Building, LLC

404-228-2893