[Equest-users] eQUEST and Variable Refrigerant Flow

Dakota Kelley dakotak at teliospc.com
Tue Nov 24 22:52:46 PST 2009

Previous posts have indicated that it’s in development, but the release forecast is to be determined.  Speculation ranges from Q4 2009 to Q4 2010, so we’ll have to wait and see.  The two major roadblocks I see for VRF getting into public software are:

1)      Lack of a rating system for all capacities: ARI-210/240 was not expanded to rate low-capacity VRF systems until 2008, and it is my understanding that an ARI standard for larger-capacity (over 6 tons) VRF systems is still pending.  I don’t see the DOE granting money for simulation development without a recognized rating system.  Once one is approved, I would expect the development and testing to take the better part of a year, possibly longer.

2)      Funding: the manufacturers seem willing to pay for development, but in the interest of neutrality, developers of public software seem reluctant to accept.

For what it’s worth, we recently purchased EnergyPro specifically for VRF systems, and I was fortunate enough to attend a training session at Daikin with several of their sales engineers.  The word was that Daikin (and I would assume Mitsubishi) is aggressively trying to get its products incorporated into various modeling packages. In fact, it’s a major hurdle they need to overcome in order to grow their market share.  The proprietary software developers have been much more receptive to working with the VRF manufacturers and accepting financial support for the development costs.  Daikin has produced several libraries of performance curves for their products, so much of the legwork has been done from a data-gathering perspective.  In fact, if you want to approximate a Daikin product in eQUEST, the info needed to create custom curves is readily available.  I would recommend that route over purchasing proprietary software.  If you’re considering EnergyPro and want a full opinion, feel free to contact me directly.

Regards,

                         DAKOTA KELLEY

                                Project Designer

                                Office:      214-744-6199

                                Cell:         214-280-3825

                                Fax:         214-744-0770

http://www.teliospc.com <http://www.teliospc.com/>           3535 Travis St. Suite 115

dakotak at teliospc.com <mailto:dakotak at teliospc.com>              Dallas, TX 75204

| MEP ENGINEERING · ENERGY MODELING · LEED CONSULTATION · COMMISSIONING |

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed,

And may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you

are not the intended recipient, please email the sender immediately, and delete this email from all computers.  Any

distribution or other use is strictly prohibited.  Copyright © 2009 Telios Corporation.