[Equest-users] Water Side Economizer

Mak, Jonathan Wai-Ho mak.jonathan at pbworld.com
Thu Sep 3 21:28:58 PDT 2009

I am modeling the water side economizer by eQuest. When the outdoor
temperature is lower than the pre-set temperature, the chiller will stop
operating and heat exchanger will substitute the chiller to cool down
the chilled water. The eQuest simulation program, however, seems that
the definition is differ from our approach. From the help section of
eQuest, WS Economizer effectiveness is defined as "The coil design
effectiveness for the economizer coil, between the condenser water loop
and the mixed-air temperature". If the one defined by eQuest is same as
that defined by me, shouldn't the effectiveness be the effectiveness
between the condenser water loop and the outdoor air temperature? And as
heat exchanger does not involved in the eQuest WS Economizer, does it
mean that eQuest's WS Economizer cannot model our system? If yes, is it
possible to simulate this system through other ways? If no, could anyone
advise how to input this system? Many thanks.

Best regards,

Jonathan Mak

LEED AP

NOTICE: This communication and any attachments ("this message") may contain confidential information for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized use, disclosure, viewing, copying, alteration, dissemination or distribution of, or reliance on this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, or you are not an authorized recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message, delete this message and all copies from your e-mail system and destroy any printed copies.