[Equest-users] Heating Hours Unmet

Nisonger, Kyle M NWK Kyle.M.Nisonger at usace.army.mil
Fri Sep 11 14:11:29 PDT 2009

Equesters,

I have a packaged single zone system using DX cooling and Furnace heating
that serves 7 different zones and is controlled by the corridor zone.  This
is supposed to replicate "System 3" in ASHRAE 90.1 appendix G.  I have many
unmet heating hours (including my system control zone).  I have let eQuest
auto size equipment capacities and and cfm. I have tried doing everything I
can think of to reduce the number of unmet hours.  My OA volumes are pretty
small and shouldn't be affecting it.  I expected possibly a few unmet hours
in some of the zones, but not in my control zone, the corridor, and not to
this magnitude.   I get the following warning message seen below, I'm not
sure what it means by "Baseboard-Rating"?  Any ideas on what this means or
how I could reduce the number of unmet heating hours?

**WARNING********************************************************************
**
             ZONE EL1 Food Storage Zn (G.S2)
             might have insufficient heating capability.
             Check that the SYSTEM or ZONE HEATING-CAPACITY plus this
             ZONEs BASEBOARD-RATING is adequate to maintain the ZONE
             specified DESIGN-HEAT-T for the calculated peak ZONE load
             (see LS-A or LS-B for the ZONE peak load.)

Thanks for your help,

Kyle Nisonger
Mechanical Engineer, LEED(r) AP
US Army Corps of Engineers