[Equest-users] Would cheaper fuel be credited?

Rob Rosen rrosen at taitem.com
Tue Sep 8 09:57:15 PDT 2009

ASHRAE Appendix G Modeling Guidelines Tables 3.1.1A and 3.1.1B give the
baseline HVAC system for each type of building. The baseline heating fuel in
all cases is either fossil fuel or electricity. I believe that a different
fuel may be used in the proposed building, if it is a purchased, renewable
fuel (such as wood pellets).

Appendix G Section 2.4 Exception says that if the renewable fuel is
site-generated or free (such as burning waste wood from packing crates),
then it cannot be modeled as a proposed fuel for the purpose of calculating
building performance.

Rob Rosen
Senior Energy Analyst
Taitem Engineering