[Equest-users] Data Center Server Heat Load - 3.63

John Aulbach jra_sac at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 14 08:11:38 PDT 2009

Hi Greg:

You reached the Nirvana of eQuest information. If my solution isn't the best for you, some other esteemed member will give you his or hers.

Is your server load cooled by DX units or chilled water? If DX, you probably want the server load only satisfied by the DX units, not the other HVAC units in the space. eQuest (DOE-2 engine) cannot have tow systems satisfying one load.

For this situation, I would divide up the room into two zones. The first being the actual space dimensions, mius the server space. In this space, put your DX/chilled water HVAC unit. In the 2nd space, use the server sq.ft and add the server load as Process Load, to be satisfied by the Server HVAC

If your server is cooled by chilled water, I believe it should be the same procedure. However, the process load could be placed directly on the Chilled Water loop as a load. No HVAC required for the server space.

Others may have a more elegant solution.

John Aulbach