[Equest-users] help

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Thu Sep 10 15:06:53 PDT 2009

Haissam,

Considering this is your first project using eQuest, I'll tailor a
response including some general advice.

I'd suggest starting by first bookmarking the [equest-users] and
[bldg-sim] archives as a primary source for finding answers to your
questions as they arise:

http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/bldg-sim-onebuilding.org/
<http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/bldg-sim-onebuilding.org/>

http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/equest-users-onebuilding.org/
<http://lists.onebuilding.org/pipermail/equest-users-onebuilding.org/>

Keep in mind also that help is often at hand by right-clicking any input
field giving you pause to access the appropriate help files.

Your 3 questions as stated seem best addressed in reverse order:

#3) Make a 90.1 baseline vs. proposed comparison by spending your
initial time first setting up the baseline case.  Use the wizard screens
to their fullest extents before jumping into detailed mode.  When the
baseline is finally set up completely and is operating correctly (with
annual/monthly results in hand), you will save a separate copy of the
file to be developed into your proposed model.  Then the multitude of
things which should remain the same (building geometries, occupancy
schedules and so on) will be assured.  Making the changes necessary for
the proposed design model is typically much smoother/faster in my
experience, as the bulk of things will be defined and you'll be much
more familiar with the model at that stage.

#2) For most projects, it's a good idea to start with your building
floorplan and defining its geometries.  Considering you have a 48 story
tower, you should definitely be reading up first on how to account for
and define a "typical" middle floor to save yourself time.  Once
geometries are established, simply(*) follow the prescriptive
requirements of 90.1 Appendix G through the wizard screens, then make a
pass to account for anything you couldn't assign in the wizards within
the detailed mode.  (*More easily said than done, as many will attest!)

#1) Occupancy, Lighting, and any other schedules may be defined, on an
hourly basis as appropriate, during the wizards when you arrive at the
appropriate screens.  There are defaults for most schedules that you may
deviate from by making your own, but be aware that defaults are your
friend in the interest of keeping your proposed/baseline models
identical in that respect down the road.

As you move forward, remember generally the most detailed and helpful
answers come from well-constructed questions.

Allot yourself plenty of time for this - rare I think is the eQuester
who was lucky enough to start out on a simple project, and your 48 floor
structure will likely entail some tricky points along the way.  Best of
luck!

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER