[Equest-users] Adding Cupola to one story building

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Sep 28 16:20:23 PDT 2009

What you may need to do, to account for varying exterior roof heights
within the same floor level, is define two "shells" of different
heights.  Attached is a quick mspainting masterpiece by yours truly
attempting to illustrate how I've done this for other projects.  If you
define your shell perimeters in a way that the yellow-circled vertices
are shared between the two zones, the resulting "shared" walls will
merge and correctly identify one zone adjacent to the other, if I recall
correctly.  The orange-circled vertices for "zone 1" however would need
to be separated a nominal distance apart (like 1-inch) to allow you to
define it.  This requires some careful pre-planning in your custom
footprint file for importing.  I used this strategy heavily for a
project with a lot of monitors inside the building for daylighting.

On the other hand, your situation may be easier to deal with if you're
truly talking about simply varying the ceiling height of one or more
zones (not the roof height).  Individual space/plenum heights are
modifiable from the detailed mode spreadsheets.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

25501 west valley parkway