[Equest-users] Chiller ROI - HELP!

James Hansen JHANSEN at ghtltd.com
Thu Apr 1 13:01:41 PDT 2010

KW/ton drops off with decreasing part load, and since the chiller isn't
always operating at ARI full load conditions, you can't just divide
total chiller energy consumption (in KWH) by the total cooling load (in
btu) and hope to get anywhere near the full load rated KW/ton.

As you go about this ROI study, make sure that when you are analyzing
your proposed chiller replacement, that you create a custom EIR vs PLR
curve based on manufacturer's data, otherwise you're using a default
DOE-2 curve that isn't necessarily correct.

Furthermore, to make the study worthwhile, the existing chiller model
really needs to be normalized as best as possible to actual building
operating conditions.  You can get away without doing it for a simple
comparison, but it would be more accurate if you normalized to utility
bills.

GHT Limited
James Hansen, PE, LEED AP

Senior Associate