[Equest-users] Elevator Shafts

James Hansen JHANSEN at ghtltd.com
Fri Apr 16 07:23:53 PDT 2010

Why model it as a separate shell?  I usually just create an elevator
space on each floor (as well as stair spaces), and set their zones as
unconditioned, no lighting, no power, etc.

If you wanted to model the impact that this unconditioned shaft has on
the adjacent spaces (if the shaft has a roof exposure, garage exposure,
etc), you could just keep the lowest elevator space you create, erase
all of the other ones, set that lowest space height to the height of the
building, and give it a roof...you'd then also have to make sure your
interior walls are all correct.  Seems like a waste of time to me for
what you'll eventually see as an impact, but if you want a true model,
that seems the easiest.  Creating a separate shell for the elevators
seems like more work than you need...

GHT Limited
James Hansen, PE, LEED AP

Senior Associate