[Equest-users] Demand Controlled Ventilation

Victor Yeung Victor at invirosystems.ca
Wed Apr 28 09:30:01 PDT 2010

Hello all,

I also have a similar question related to minimum OA settings for DCV,
particularly with OA-FLOW/PER and OA-FLOW/AREA.  Say I am using ASHRAE
62.1 for my OA rates, there are minimum requirements for cfm/person and
cfm/area.  However, the way eQuest calculates min zone OA is by taking
the higher value of either OA-FLOW/PER or OA-FLOW/AREA, not the combine
total.  To correctly model the OA requirement, I have to calculate the
combine OA rate (i.e. {[cfm/per * max # of person] + [cfm/area * floor
area] } / floor area) and input that value in OA-FLOW/AREA.  Now, the
problem comes in when we include DCV into the model, at which eQuest
cannot calculate the savings because the OA-FLOW/PER value is not
entered.  I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can clarify this.

VICTOR YEUNG, BASc, LEED(r) AP

EIT - LEED(r)/Sustainable Development

victor at invirosystems.ca <mailto:victor at invirosystems.ca>