[Equest-users] Creating a Baseline Model

Pasha Korber-Gonzalez pasha.pkconsulting at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 23:39:19 PDT 2010

There are a couple of ways to do what you are asking.

   - Start by creating your proposed building design with all of the ECM
   features and proposed HVAC systems
   - For most of your ECM's that are straight forward you can use parametric
   runs under the TOOLS menu in DDedit mode to 'back-out' the proposed
   performance down to the baseline performance values.  Basic things would
   include changing insulation values, changing glass u-values, overhangs, LPD
   values, equipment efficiencies, etc.  The results of your complied
   parametric runs will represent your baseline building performance results.
   - OR  (I use this method when my proposed HVAC systems are different from
   the required baseline HVAC systems.)  After you have created your proposed
   model and have it calibrated to debug it and reduce your throttling hours
   out of range to acceptable levels then do a "Save As" of your proposed file
   to create an identical file that you will adjust to represent your baseline
   performance values.  Using this method allows you to re-input the baseline
   HVAC systems in the main eQuest systems & plant screens rather than trying
   to change your systems via the parametric runs tool.  I then go back and
   reinput all of the other design characteristics to match my baseline values
   that I am using.
   - Now I have two separate files for the baseline & proposed cases, but I
   am assured the initial inputs of the building (area, shape, window
   placement, etc.) are identical for both building models.  The only variances
   are the ones I have made to represent thermal performance values.
   - By reducing the performance values in your basline model you will see
   the annual energy consumption increase above the proposed model results
   provided that your simulation is working correctly.

pasha