[Equest-users] Geothermal Well Field Modeling

Edward Allen eallen at long.com
Thu Apr 29 10:04:49 PDT 2010

Dan,

I recently (as in this week) had cause to do a deep dive into eQuest's geothermal modeling capabilities.  Based on your description and my brief experience I have the following suggestions:

1) Is Gaia Geothermal proprietary?  It may have financial incentives to "suggest" larger well fields than needed.
2) What are the allowable temperature ranges/limits and setpoints for your ground loops?  I found that  matching these with those of an actual HP made a difference in whether or not a field of a particular size would meet the load.  The equest defaults were no where near optimal for my model.  This is particularly important if your well field becomes saturated with heat (cold) and the model shuts down the HP to maintain the ground temperature limits.

Edward M. Allen, CEM
Senior Energy Engineer
LONG Energy Solutions