[Equest-users] Simple Building Shade Question

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Apr 2 12:51:33 PDT 2010

Heather, your end results pictured below are exactly the path I'm
currently treading, and I am hoping to find a more efficient/accurate
way to pull this off for the future.

A potential issue, as you're illustrating, is that "elbow" or
"courtyard" situations where the building perimeter is shaded on
different orientations by the same object sorta obviates the ideal case
where we could really use the ability to define a 3D object.  Restricted
only to 2D rectangular shades, intersecting 2 or more in a manner
parallel to the shaded faces (as you've done) seems the best compromise
for the moment.

The process I'm proposing below, to (hopefully cleanly) import 2D
polygon geometries and assign/reassign them to be building shades is
something I'd like to try given the time to toy around with this
further... you can count on me in any case to share should I come up
with a method that really seems to work =).

As an illustration/teaser, here's something I threw together in 3.5
minutes (timed myself) using Sketchup after a glance at Heather's
example.  It would take me a nominal amount of extra time to copy the
same trees and scale them all around a site given a landscaping plan to
reference.  Finding a bridge to import those crossed 2D polygon shapes
into equest would be a great leap in modeling the effects of
natural/manmade site shading to a more sophisticated degree - if nothing
else it might save a good deal of time and look cool =).

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

25501 west valley parkway

olathe ks 66061