[Equest-users] daily occupancy schedules

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Apr 13 14:09:16 PDT 2010

Stephen,

In a word, yes - and suggesting you do it in the detailed mode.

As a simplified approach for your example (you might want to define more
detail), you might start with 3 fractional occupancy "Day" schedules:

1.       Regular Day (7-9 only)

2.       Evening Day (7-9 and 6-8)

3.       Sunday Day (Sunday worship hours)

Then, create 1 week schedule and assign the above day schedules to each
day of the week/holidays as may be appropriate:

Mo - Regular Day

Tu - Regular Day

We - Evening Day

Th - Regular Day

Fr - Evening Day

Sa - Regular Day

Su - Sunday Day

Holidays - Sunday Day

For the annual occupancy schedule, assign the same week schedule to
every week in the year.

Wrap up by assigning your new annual occupancy schedule to the
appropriate space(s) (right click any space in the Component Tree/2D
view/3D view under the Internal Loads tab).

When you have many custom schedules to define, I think the best approach
is to use the wizards to set up your holidays and seasonal building
operating schedules as appropriate, then use the detailed mode to
create/assign new schedules in a way that helps you to find/keep track
of your work.  It's technically possible to define a fractional
occupancy schedules for every zone for every hour of the year (limited
only by the user's time/sanity, of course).

Occupancy schedules can be handled entirely in the wizards if you have
one schedule per shell.

A BIG caution:  I made the mistake once of creating many small shells
(>12 - large project) in the wizards for the express purpose of avoiding
dealing with custom schedules in detailed mode (as I hadn't done it
before) - this was a bad move!  The time "saved" by this approach was
completely engulfed by the time lost wrangling in the detailed mode with
the resulting overly-complex model.

Best of luck,

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.