[Equest-users] Evaporative cooling

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Apr 21 07:49:23 PDT 2010

Sambhav,

Do you mean roof-mounted swamp coolers (such as the attached example)?
I've designed around such units for well ventilated garages and similar
in hot, arid climates.

To answer your specific questions, assuming you're using similar
equipment:

1.       Right - this sort of equipment supplies effectively saturated,
100% outside air.  The OA fraction would be 1.0, and you would need
relief louvers and/or a corresponding exhaust system in the served
spaces, assuming it's enclosed.

2.       In my experience, the commercial units I've dealt with (smaller
units) are either constant volume or 2-speed fans at most (such
thermostats have a HI-LO option), but I can't think of a reason they
couldn't be otherwise.

I've never modeled swamp coolers in eQuest, so can't offer you any
specific advice to manipulating the program - I'd appreciate anyone with
such experience sharing how feasible it is to model such equipment, or
what pitfalls there may be...

I'm thinking out-loud here, perhaps something special ought to be
considered for the corresponding thermostats to correctly model their
operating behavior - as the saturated air from a comfort perspective is
going to "feel" significantly warmer than the conditioned drybulb
temperature the thermostat would be operating off of... that's to say if
you want to model the units cooling until the air "feels" like 75F,
perhaps the drybulb thermostat setpoint in eQuest should be something
more like 70F?

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER