[Equest-users] ASHRAE 90.1-2007 G2.4

Alan Crittendon alanc at dwcei.com
Thu Dec 2 11:33:32 PST 2010

I've asked a variation of this before, but I am still totally confused by
section G2.4 in 90.1-2007.  I've asked earlier about whether Solar panels
can be used to calculate the % efficiency difference between the baseline
and proposed.  I was pointed to pg 274 of green building design where it
plainly says "model systems directly in the proposed design energy model".
OK. Understood.  But I am still bothered by G2.4.  It SEEMS to say the exact
opposite but I can't make sense of it.  I've read the user manual
explanation and it doesn't help me out at all.

The bldg will have solar panels generating about $20k worth of money a year.
ALL of it sold back to the electric company at 220% more than they are
charged per kwh.  So it makes more sense to sell the energy he makes than to
use it.  I've attached the two ES-D reports. Using the solar panel money I
am at 64% more efficient.  Without them I am at 35%.

I know this assumes my models are accurate but can anybody help me make
sense of this?

Alan Crittendon, PE, LEED AP
DW Collier Engineering, Inc.