[Equest-users] Lake/Well Loop based HP as DHW preheat

Boxer, Eric eboxer at pathfinder-ea.com
Thu Dec 9 12:07:03 PST 2010

Hello All,

First, thanks to those who contributed earlier posts on the topic of
modeling a "Loop to Loop" heat pump with a "Lake/Well circulation loop.
Those were of great help in developing my model thus far.

At this point, I would like to try and incorporate a W-WHP tied to my
Lake/Well circ loop dedicated to DHW preheat.  A separate circ pump runs
a loop from the W-WHP to a DHW preheat tank, reducing load on the DHW
boilers. The W-WHP is able to heat a limited flow rate of water to 110F
in the preheat tank, while the DHW tanks need the extra DHW boiler input
to be maintained 140F.

My problem has been the incompatibility between the DHW loop and the
Lake/Well loop. Then again, maybe preheat should be on a loop separate
from DHW.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Eric

Eric Boxer, EIT | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects LLP
Mechanical Engineer

134 South Fitzhugh Street
Rochester, NY 14608
T: (585) 325-6004 ext. 109