[Equest-users] Unwanted Reheat hours in Baseline Model

Walson, Kristy kristy.walson at tlc-eng.com
Mon Dec 13 13:14:47 PST 2010

Hi all,

I am modeling a building located in the Caribbean that does not have any heat in the design.  Per ASHRAE 90.1-2004, even though the building has no heat, I am supposed to model both the Baseline and the Proposed model with electric heat (with all of the same properties between the two models).  My Baseline system is a Packaged, Constant Volume, DX system.  I find that the Baseline building is using a ton of electric heat for reheat because the system is constant volume and it seems to be overcooling without the reheat.  I was able to correct this in my Proposed model by reducing the Minimum Flow Ratio, but since my Baseline building is constant volume I can't reduce the minimum flow ratio to fix the reheat problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions on reducing this reheating?  Because the building doesn't even have any heat, I artificially inflated the heat in the Proposed to make the same as the Baseline because I was getting an imaginary benefit otherwise.  Thanks for the help.

Kristy M. Walson, PE, LEED AP
Mechanical Engineer / Sustainable Design

TLC Engineering for Architecture
Your 2030 Challenge Partner

255 South Orange Avenue, Suite 1600
Orlando, FL 32801-3463