[Equest-users] equest crashing on chilled water loop primary selection

John T. Forester JohnTF at BVHis.com
Wed Dec 15 14:59:09 PST 2010

Hi Robert,

The first thing you can try is to edit the INP file and manually change the SUBTYPE back to PRIMARY.  You will most likely see a couple of “INP” files in your project folder.  It will be the one that exactly matches the name of your project.  The INP file that has a “- Baseline” after the name is not the one you want to edit.

A good tool for reviewing and editing the INP file is Notetab Light<http://www.notetab.com/>.  The free version of Note Tab.  One benefit of this editor is that it will not put access restrictions on the INP file.  You can make changes (and save) in eQuest while the file is open in Notetab and it will notify you to update the file.  Just be careful though.  You must re-open the equest project (without saving first) after any changes are made directly in Notetab or your changes will get over-written.  In a pinch, you can use Notepad but just be careful on how you save it (I’m not sure of the exact way).  You should be able to clear up your circulation loop issues this way and eQuest should reload fine.

John

John T. Forester, P.E., LEED AP, Mechanical Design Engineer I BVH Integrated Services I 617.658.9008 tel I 617.244.3753 fax I One Gateway Center Suite 506, Newton MA 02458 I www.bvhis.com<http://www.bvhis.com> I Hartford ● New Haven ● Boston

From: equest-users-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org [mailto:equest-users-bounces at lists.onebuilding.org] On Behalf Of RobertGChronic at Eaton.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 5:29 PM
To: equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: [Equest-users] equest crashing on chilled water loop primary selection

I am having an issue with equest crashing.  The error is associated with the subtype being secondary for the chilled water loop, however, when I switch it back to primary, I immediately get kicked out of equest.   I have attached the screenshot of equest and the chilled water loop appears to be nested.  I am not sure how this exactly happened, I was attempting to redefine the chilled water loop.  Here is the excerpt from the bdl file.  Is there any way to edit outside of equest interface so I can alleviate the crashing??

     *3099 * "Chilled Water Loop" = CIRCULATION-LOOP

     *3100 *    TYPE             = CHW

     *3101 *    SUBTYPE          = SECONDARY

     *3102 *    LOOP-DESIGN-DT   = 15

     *3103 *    SIZING-OPTION    = PRIMARY

     *3104 *    PIPE-HEAD        = 55

     *3105 *    PRIMARY-LOOP     = "Chilled Water Loop"

     *3106 *    LOOP-OPERATION   = DEMAND

     *3107 *    DESIGN-COOL-T    = 45

     *3108 *    COOL-SETPT-CTRL  = FIXED

     *3109 *    LOOP-PUMP        = "CHW Loop Pump"

     *3110 *    HEAD-SETPT-CTRL  = FIXED

     *3111 *    HEAD-SETPT       = 30

     *3112 *    ..

*ERROR****************************************************************************************

*ERROR*****Chilled Water Loop cannot be specified as a PRIMARY-LOOP due to

            incorrect SUBTYPE; valid PRIMARY-LOOP must have a SUBTYPE of PRIMARY

Thanks!

Robert G. Chronic
Cx Team Leader
Energy Solutions Group