[Equest-users] LEED Review Comment Help

Karen Walkerman kwalkerman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 13:41:57 PST 2010

Basically, if the space is provided with heating, of a capacity greater than
15 btu/h-sq ft, then it is a conditioned space.  Appendix G requires that
all conditioned spaces be provided with heating and cooling for modeling
purposes.

In the past, when I have a building that is not occupied during the summer,
I have done the following:

In the proposed design model:

1.  model the heating plant as designed
2.  model a cooling system equal to the baseline cooling system

In the baseline model:

model the building with heating and cooling, determining the baseline system
following the usual method

IN BOTH MODELS:

create a thermostat schedule where, the cooling setpoint is set-back during
unoccupied hours.  Usually, I set the thermostat back to 90F +/-.  If your
building truly doesn't need cooling, the cooling plant will never come on.

--
Karen