[Equest-users] Systems /Zoning question.

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Dec 8 09:07:34 PST 2010

My responses/thoughts are below in red.

Hope that helps!

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers

25501 west valley parkway

olathe ks 66061

direct 913 344.0036

fax 913 345.0617

www.smithboucher.com

From: pranita kothuru [mailto:pranita.kothuru at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 9:28 AM
To: Nick Caton
Cc: John Aulbach; equest-users
Subject: Re: [Equest-users] Systems /Zoning question.

All/Nick -

I thank you all for the valuable  input. It cleared some of my doubts
but also created more.

I am not clear with zones, zone groups and assigning HVAC's to zone
groups. If I have 70 apartments, each apartments is one zone, i group
all these apartments into one zone group and assign the PTAC unit I have
created.

Does assigning the PTAC to the zone group mean that each zone within the
zone group is assigned to one PTAC unit?

That depends entirely on whether your PTAC is defined as 'system per
zone' or 'system per site' etc...  not by what's in the zone group
screen.  I found this unintuitive myself when I first encountered it,
but the zone group screen's system assignment pulldown does not mean you
do or don't wind up with one system in that group.  The question is
easily explored if you simply finish the wizards and observe what's
generated by eQuest under the different options.

As an aside, for a building with this many systems/zones, you should
probably consider whether you can use a floor multiplier for the 2nd and
3rd floors to reduce the sheer size of the model.

Screen 13 and 14 in DD wizard seem to be conflicting. I entered all the
data on screen 13 for the whole building.

But after I group my zones on screen 14 the activity area allocation
uses the percentages on screen 13 for each zone group.

I am attaching screen shots of screen 13 and 14.

Screen 13 sets the default values and the available occupancy types for
screen 14.  Any different percentages entered in 14 override screen 13
for the corresponding zone group.  I tend to only use screen 13 to
define the occ. types I need, then use screen 14 to say a given zone
group is "100% office" or "90% corridor, 10% restroom" and so on.

Please advise on the above questions.

Thanks for all the advise.

Pranita.

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Nick Caton <ncaton at smithboucher.com>