[Equest-users] Building envelope

jredburn at mindspring.com jredburn at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 12 18:06:40 PST 2010

Greetings.
I am new to the program and I am having problems modeling changes in the building envelope on a project I am working on.
So I started a test project with a one story gas station in Ft Myers Fl, all electric heat and cooling, 5100 sq ft. 71.4' x 71.4' 10' FF and 8' FC.
I started the shell with 8" CMU walls, no insulation, stucco on exterior and R5 finish on inside.  The roof was wood frame on 24" cc. asphalt shingles, medium, no insulation and no insulation on the ceiling. Everything else was generally defaults.  I ran a simulation and got a total of 186.37KWh for the year.
I went back and changed the walls to HW 6" concrete, no infiltration, R13 insulation on both sides of the concrete, stucco on the exterior, and r5 finish inside.  I changed the roofing to steel over wood framing with R30 insulation and a R30 mat over the ceiling.  I ran a simulation and got a total usage of 186.42 KWh
I have tried several configurations and cannot get the usage to change more than 3 KWh per year.
Since I build ICF houses with 6" of spray on foam insulation on the underside of the rafters, the sofits are sealed so there is no infiltration.  My houses use less than half as much electricity as the same size typical CMU houses in the same block.
So I know that the modeling is wrong but cant find anything in the tutorials to tell me what I am doing wrong.
If anyone out there can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
Regards
Joe