[Equest-users] How to Model a MAU/exhaust fan system (eQuest)

Tomlinson, Scott stomlinson at smma.com
Fri Feb 19 12:15:38 PST 2010

Hello fellow eQuest users.  I am having an issue modeling a system that is made up of an exhaust fan sequenced to a 100% OA make-up air unit.  Since we need to include cooling in the model of this system I currently have it modeled as a packaged single-zone system with a 2-speed motor in it.  I feel this is the best representation of what our design system would be, after adding cooling to it.  The problem is, I am getting what seems to me to be overly aggressive ventilation energy and cooling energy savings.  The cooling energy consumption of my design system is about 20% of what the code case is (code system is a Sys5, VAV with DX cooling and fossil fuel boilers) and the ventilation energy of the design system is only 33% of what the code case is.  These seem to be unrealistically large energy savings, and I feel USGBC will not accept them.  Does anyone have experience with a system like this?

-          Thank you,

Scott Tomlinson, PE, LEED-AP

Mechanical

Symmes Maini & McKee Associates, Inc.

1000 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138

t: 617.520.9438

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CAB175.D1EB4FF0]

f: 617.354.5758

stomlinson at smma.com<mailto:STomlinson at smma.com>