[Equest-users] Existing Building LEED Baseline

omoltay at mimtarch.com omoltay at mimtarch.com
Mon Feb 22 12:14:47 PST 2010

Dear All,

Just want to have your opinions about this: Since the building we are
applying for LEED certification is an existing building (and there are no
additions), the building envelope in our baseline model is identical to
the existing conditions in real life. We have interpreted this to also
include the SHGC on the windows and any fixed shading devices on the
windows, so these we have also modeled as existing in real life.

I assume this would further mean that when we are doing the baseline
simulation in four rotations, we do not need to change anything with the
SHGC's on the windows in each rotation.

Although according to Appendix G I believe this should be the way (since
the remark involving existing buildings is printed as the last entry in
the table), I still have some doubts as in the LEED NC reference guide
they have only printed that remark for the building envelope involving
opaque surfaces, and the criteria involving windows seems to be
independent of this (on p.270).

Thanks for any replies,

Omer Moltay, LEED AP
Mimta Ltd.