[Equest-users] Unconditioned Zones -> Interior Walls

Dakota Kelley dakotak at teliospc.com
Wed Jan 13 16:26:18 PST 2010

Taylor,

In a word, no.  The best way to model your porch is to delete the porch zones and add building shades in detailed mode.  This will make your exterior walls truly exterior and allow you to add windows wherever they need to be.  I specify building shades because they will rotate with the structure if you adjust the azimuth.  Fixed shades are considered permanent site fixtures and are not affected by changes to the building's orientation.

If your porch has a lot of vertical walls/columns that you feel are important to include, I would again use building shades to represent them.  However, I would first consider whether or not their shading effect is truly worth the time.  You could spend a couple hours adding them in only to see a 0.001% impact.

With respect to your proposed strategy, changing the construction type has no effect on whether eQUEST treats a wall as interior or exterior.  By DOE2.2 definition, interior walls never communicate thermally with the building exterior.  "Wall type" dictates where heat is transferred (with "interior" enabling the NEXT-TO keyword, or allowing the wall to be adiabatic).  "Construction" simply controls the rate at which the transfer occurs.

Regards,

		DAKOTA KELLEY
		Project Designer

		Office:  	214-744-6199
		Cell:	214-280-3825
		Fax:	214-744-0770

http://www.teliospc.com  	3535 Travis St. Suite 115
dakotak at teliospc.com	Dallas, TX 75204

| MEP ENGINEERING · ENERGY MODELING · LEED CONSULTATION · COMMISSIONING |

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed,
And may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you
are not the intended recipient, please email the sender immediately, and delete this email from all computers.  Any
distribution or other use is strictly prohibited.  Copyright © 2010 Telios Corporation.