[Equest-users] Residential Building; two questions

sinan senel msinansenel at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 09:40:46 PDT 2010

Dear all,

I have been trying to simulate a residential building (a typical Dutch row
house) with eQuest for my graduation project.
The building is heated up by high temperature radiators which are fed by gas
fired boiler.
Balanced mechanical ventilation with sensible heat recovery is the ventilation
principle.
In order to simulate the house, I used heating/ventilation default scheme with
air-side economizer, heat recovery, baseboards in rooms, supply fan (no return
fan).

The air-side economizer is controlled by OA temperature.
Minimum outside air is determined by sum of zone outside air demands.
However, the simulation results show too high vent. fan electric consumption at
around 3100 kWh/year
while I expect them to be around 600 kWh/year, typical for mechanical
ventilation with heat recovery.

First question: What would be the reason for this?
Second question: In the detailed simulation output file, building loads
(LS-D) are around 25 MBTU while

Building HVAC loads (SS-D) are around 6 MBTU. Am I wrong if I expect to see the
same values for

both as the losses in the building should be compensated by the system.
Third question: What is exactly INT SUR in building monthly load component
(LS-F)? And is it normal to
have values as high as window conduction losses?

Thanks for your consideration.
Sorry for my English since I'm not a native speaker it is not perfect.

Best Regards
Sinan Senel
Technical Unversity of Eindhoven