[Equest-users] Modeling landfill gas as a fuel

Peter Hillermann peterh at westallarchitects.com
Mon Jul 26 07:06:42 PDT 2010

Energy that is purchased from a third party is EA credit 6 Green Power and
the third party needs to be able to prove that they have REC's (renewable
energy certificates) in order for it to count. Renewables go toward the
project be it building or whatever and have to be purchased by the building
owner. What I was told is that you are not allowed to profit off your
renewable energy if you are going to use it toward LEED for a project. In
order for it to count as renewable I think that the owner of the site would
have to give it to the building owner for free. Call USGBC and ask them to
interpret it for you to see. I usually call the USGBC if I have questions
and I do not understand. I do the same with building code because you never
know how the official interprets it versus one of us that is doing the
project.

In order to get EA credit 6 you have to purchase at least 35%  of your
annual electrical consumption from this third party and it is calculated
from the energy model you made in EA credit 1 or you have to go to the US
department of energy commercial buildings energy consumption survey database
to determine the estimated electricity use.

This is how I have interpreted the LEED manual.

Thanks,

PETER HILLERMANN

peterh at westallarchitects.com

westall