[Equest-users] Demand Controlled Ventilation and EA Credit 1

ron lamarre lamarre_arch at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 11:07:43 PDT 2010

Hi James:

For the record, the occupancy schedule refers to the people present within the
space.  For instance, a space within the baseline (not required by ASHRAE to
have DCV) would have the max number of occupants for the entire occupied-mode
schedule; however, the proposed would have the max number of people for only as
many hours as submitted in the project narrative for FTE usage of the space, and
a minimum number of people (or no one) for the remaining occupied-mode time.
Thus we create an occupancy (people) schedule for the space.  During the
unoccupied mode the fans would cycle as required with no people, no lighting
(automatic shut off), acting on the heating & cooling loads.  We would
not install DCV if the occupant loads didn't change during the occupied mode.

We also use general lighting schedules that take advantage of installed
occupancy sensors, and process load schedules that take advantage of Energy Star
computers and monitiors.

The HVAC engineer decides the minimum design rate for each space to work
(heating & cooling) if fully occupied with all the lights, process loads, and
people during the occupied mode.  This is normally at or above the 62.1 and/or
other code-required minimums (never below due to the LEED pre-requisite).
Sharing the reduction schedules placed into eQuest with a template-narrative to
support the reductions (based on ASHRAE 90.1, Energy Star, etc... %-reductions)
has been accepted by LEED.

We utilize an integrated design team method, where the engineers and
I review the models that I construct.  We also get peer reviews when we think
it's necessary and/or when LEED throws us a curve.  We pay for our peer
reviews.  I'm confident that anything we've submitted does not prove
inconsistency within the review of EAc1.

Ron Lamarre, AIA, NCARB
Architect - LEED AP BD+C

Design  +  Energy Modeling + LEED Administration