[Equest-users] GBCI comments on DCV (Carol Gardner)

Dan Katzenberger dan at eeEnviro.com
Tue Jul 27 17:24:09 PDT 2010

Karen,

I am a voting member of the USGBC Energy and Atmosphere Technical Advisory
Group (EA-TAG) and I have been reading this discussion with great interest.
I think that the letter that you proposed in your other post is a good one.
I will e-mail you off-list with the requested contact information.

To summarize what I have taken away from this conversation:

-          The LEED EAc1 requirements for creating the baseline and proposed
energy models for projects implementing DCV are not clear and complete.

-          In absence of clear and complete modeling requirements GBCI has
required, for at least one project, that the baselilne ventilation rates be
set to the ASHRAE 62.1 minimum ventilation rates for the building in
compliance with EQp1: Minimum IAQ Performance.

-          There is interest by the energy modeling community in having
USGBC publish guidance for the correct modeling of DCV baseline and proposed
systems.

-          There are concerns about jurisdiction.  Does GBCI act as the
"rating authority" on LEED projects, and do they have the authority to set
requirements that are not specifically written or referenced by LEED
documentation?

Now that I am involved, guess who will likely be writing the first draft of
the DCV modeling guidelines if the TAG decides to move forward?  ;-)

Thank You,

Dan

Daniel A. Katzenberger, P.E., CEM, BEMP, LEED-AP
Principal
Engineering, Energy, and the Environment, LLC
420 N. 5th St., Suite 305
Minneapolis, MN 55401-1348
(612) 327-4210
dan at eeEnviro.com