[Equest-users] Modifying Geometry

Carol Gardner cmg750 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 08:20:09 PDT 2010

Omar,

Your geometry is indeed suffering! Is this the same building, the school,
you have been working on for awhile? Have you taken any training or read the
online help manuals? I am not trying to be rude but the picture you sent
indicates many problems, some of which you seem to be aware of, some which
you don't. Those are the problems I am really worried about. I am willing to
help you, as are many others, but it really looks like you need to either
attend a training class, there's a bunch coming up in August at the IBPSA-US
conference in NY, hire a trainer, or hire someone to work with you as you
learn on this project.

Other than that, your geometry can be modified a few ways: 1) in DD Edit by
modifying your polygons for the space, there are 2 - one for the floor and
one for the ceiling that is automatically created when you create the space.
In this case you will make the existing space smaller and then create a new
one, a "child", that will represent the new space; 2) If you have saved a
copy of your last Wizard files you could use them and then cut and paste the
new data into your existing .inp file, and; 3) make the space/thermal zone
changes directly in your .inp deck using BDL. You should try the first
method or hire someone else to do it for you.

You should definitely hire someone to do a peer review for you when you
complete this project and please consider going to the IBPSA conference and
taking a training. You will learn so much and it will reduce your suffering!

Good Luck,
Carol

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 7:45 AM, Omar Katanani <omar at ecoconsulting.net>wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Once again, another problem!
>
> I have several spaces which were geometrically modified in the design. For
> example, a room that was split into two different ones; with each room being
> a different hvac zone. How can I possibly split a room into two zones "1"
> and "2"? Shall I modify the geometry of the old zone to be that of zone "1",
> and then add another zone "2" from scratch? If this is what should be done,
> how can I do this accurately?
>
> Attached is the polygon view of one of my floors. When you look at them in
> 2-D or 3-D views, the building seems perfect in shape. Notice the rectangle
> to the left of the picture! This is actually a zone that lies inside the
> building. But it appears like this in polygon view. I think it is some
> problem of coordinate references or so!
> So when I need to modify the geometry according to coordinates of vertices,
> I'm suffering!
>
> Many thanks!
> Omar
>
> ___________________________
>
> Omar Katanani
> Sustainable Design Engineer
> Email: omar at ecoconsulting.net
>

> EcoConsulting (Lebanon)
> Nahas Building, 4th floor
> 4 St-Maron Street / Georges Haddad Avenue
> Postal Code: 2028 5806 SAIFI
> Beirut, Lebanon
> Tel:       +961 (0) 1 971 255
> Mobile:    +961 (0) 3 045 045