[Equest-users] Modifying Geometry

Peter Hillermann peterh at westallarchitects.com
Wed Jul 21 11:28:53 PDT 2010

To All:

Do not import from REVIT. I use REVIT, ECOTECT, 3DMax and many other
products. If you want to create just geometry objects without building them
in eQuest use ECOTECT or a DXF file from AutoCAD created in 3D. eQuest,
Ecotect and AutoCAD understand and interpolate planar geometry which means
when you create a cylinder you are in fact creating planes that segment a
circle.

Short Lesson.

2 ways to create surfaces are either by planar geometry or using nurbs.
Nurbs are algorithims that are complex and it is what you see animators use
to create faces, people etc. buildings are best created using planar
geometries because it simplifies the models. With detail mode in eQuest you
can create these planar surfaces on a grid however it becomes very
complicated on larger projects because you have to keep track of your walls,
roofs and ceiling coordinates from your 0,0,0 origin. This is why using the
wizard with the AutoCAD underlay is so effective.

This is also why objects tessellate when you create compound curves. In
other words doing a Frank Gehry project in eQuest would be quite
challenging. At this point you would probably need to move to a program like
IES or do the calculations by hand.

Back to eQuest.

Go to building shell tab. Scroll down to polygons folder. Right click and
select create new polygon. Fill out all the coordinate information.

Scroll up to where you floor is identified. This is where you need to decide
which space the geometry will belong to. Each space is created by the
AutoCAD layout which you can get to from 2D geometry right clicking on the
screen and selecting switch to polygon view. In polygon view you can create
your different space shapes. These spaces are then where you attach your
polygon too.

These spaces you can use to create HVAC zones with.

Hope this was not too complicated or long winded. I still think it is best
to create your 3D geometries outside of eQuest if they are complicated
import them and then modify spaces in eQuest.

Thanks,

PETER HILLERMANN

peterh at westallarchitects.com

westall