[Equest-users] Unmet Load Hours Calc

Carol Gardner cmg750 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 17:08:08 PDT 2010

You have a good nose, Dakota, so if you smell something fishy or otherwise,
I will probably agree with you.

Until you "kids" started talking about SS-R and SS-O reports I had never
even really looked at them. I always used the SS-F report to calculate my
hours. It reports hours underheated, hours undercooled, what the temperature
is (so you can see how far it goes out of range), and the time it occurs.
All of this information is very useful. For instance, you can quickly see if
you maybe just need to adjust your throttling range, from say 4 to 6, to
solve your problem, a frequently a reasonable and justifiable thing to do.
You can also see if your hours outside of throttling range happen to be
occurring on a Monday during the warm-up period during the winter or during
the late afternoon in a west facing zone during the summer, which might also
suggest an action to take. And, lastly, since you sometimes have hours in
both the heating and cooling columns, you have your coincident hours, too.
Then all you have to do is add them up. Granted that could be a chore if you
have 300 hours of unmet loads, but if I had 300 hours of unmet loads I'd
figure I hadn't modeled the building as well as I should have and I'd go
back and try to figure out why. I wouldn't be satisfied that the delta
between baseline and proposed didn't exceed the accepted 50 hours difference
until I had given it another shot to reduce the overall totals. And, like
many people have recently pointed out, and correctly I think, you've got to
know when to say "Enough".

That's MHO.

Carol