[Equest-users] GBCI comments on DCV (Carol Gardner)

Jeremy Poling jpoling at epsteinglobal.com
Mon Jul 26 13:53:05 PDT 2010

Tough situation - let me take you where I might go with this one
(hopefully it helps!):

ASHRAE 90.1-2004 and ASHRAE 90.1-2007 state the same thing in Appendix G
regarding energy savings from DCV with the exception of the referenced
mandatory DCV requirement (2004 is Section 6.4.3.8 while 2007 is Section
6.4.3.9):

"G3.1.2.5 Ventilation.  Minimum outdoor air ventilation rates shall be
the same for the proposed and baseline building designs.

Exception to G3.1.2.5: When modeling demand-control ventilation in the
proposed design when its use is not required by 6.4.3.8."

The main difference is in the referenced section.  In 2004 the mandatory
requirement was DCV for systems with supply OA exceeding 3000 CFM and
serving areas with occupant densities over 100 people per 1000 SF.  In
2007, this was made more stringent: spaces over 500SF with occupant
densities over 40 people per 1000 SF served by systems having an
air-side economizer, automatic modulating control of the OA damper, or a
design OA exceeding 3000 CFM.  Remember - these are the criteria that
disallow the exception to G3.1.2.5.

This is consistent with part of what your review comment states - ASHRAE
90.1 does not require you to model the DCV rates the same in the
baseline and proposed case and the rating authority (ASHRAE's term, not
the GBCI's or USGBC's term) can take a position that the exception is or
is not allowed.

That said, I would specifically take issue with the GBCI stating that
they are the "rating authority".  They are only allowed to determine if
the project has complied with the LEED standard as the USGBC has
published it.  If the reference guide and rating system in effect at the
time your project was registered do not state what the reviewers did,
file a customer service request with both the USGBC and GBCI outside of
the review process to request that they address this.  I have been told
the backlog on this type of issue is 4-8 weeks, but you could be lucky
(as I have been on occasion) and get a response quickly.

The GBCI does not write the LEED rating system - they just certify
projects against the standard.  I would also request specific
documentation of where that requirement is referenced in ASHRAE 90.1,
ASHRAE 62.1 and/or the LEED rating system and appropriate reference
guide.

This is one of those areas we do bring up with clients - more outdoor
air, regardless of why you have it in the building, will carry an energy
premium.  The amount of OA for a design needs to be carefully planned.
The credit for exceeding ASHRAE 62.1 by 30% is still only worth 1 point
and the cost/benefit analysis of the extra outdoor air may not make
sense for a given project.  We've had a number of clients skip that one,
especially those who cannot use productivity as part of their financial
justification (yup - they are out there!).

The prerequisites trump credits usually in the LEED review, so at the
very least your reviewer is assuming that since the prerequisite
requires you to provide ASHRAE 62.1 minimum OA then any DCV strategy NOT
required by ASHRAE 90.1 6.4.3.8/9 would be optional and part of the
design model but not the baseline.

Good luck!

JEREMY R. POLING, PE, LEED AP
Associate Vice President,

Senior Sustainability Analyst
Strategic Services
Site Solutions | Operations | Sustainability

EPSTEIN

Epstein is a firm believer in sustainability. We ask that you please
consider the environment before printing this e-mail.