[Equest-users] how to model an air cooled heat pumpfor hot water

Paul Brooks equestpaul at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 8 12:22:18 PDT 2010

Pasha:

Thank you for the response.  The system I am modeling is 4-pipe with a heat recovery chiller and two air cooled heat pumps that will suppliment either chilled or hot water as needed.  The equipment is European, Trane. From what I am reading, both in system descriptions in DOE2 and equipment literature, the heat pumps usede are really designed for a 2-pipe system, thus not easily modeled drectly.  The design has 3-way valves directing water from each heat pump to either loop.  I read through the water to water system, I think there is a chance energy use modeled that will not happen in reality.

Based on the equpment sizes, and on preliminary model results, i do not see both heat pumps running AND the chiller at the same time.  So, I am pretty sure i can do the following:

Chilled water plant:  Heat recovery chiller and one heat pump to provide chilled water.  there is enough capacity here to provide peak cooling of the building plus a little to spare.

Hot water heating :  heat from the revcovery chiller, and two electric boilers sized and modeled to mimic the capacity and EIR (inverse of COP) of the heat pumps.  The only time the building may require enough heat to run both heat pumps, there is little if any chance the cooling needs would have to be met by both the chiller and a heat pump.

I guess I am asking if anyone can pick apart this logic.