[Equest-users] overhangs

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Jun 14 11:48:46 PDT 2010

Further to Brian's response,

The last property (rightmost on the spreadsheet view, in detailed mode)
you can define for any given surface is called SHADING-SURFACE.  By
default I think the wizards make all surfaces "self shading," so a basic
response to your question would be "everything is a shade," in addition
to potentially being a heat-transfer surface.

Here's a copy of the help file for that entry:

SHADING-SURFACE
Accepts code-words YES and NO that tell the program that this exterior
surface shades other surfaces. YES causes this EXTERIOR-WALL surface to
be considered also as a BUILDING-SHADE surface with TRANSMITTANCE = 0.
Whenever an exterior wall is capable of shading another exterior surface
(for example, in an L-shaped building), setting SHADING-SURFACE = YES
greatly simplifies shading surface input. See "Building Shades" in the
DOE-2.2 Topics.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.
PROJECT ENGINEER